Sunday, December 22, 2013

Fixing a random error

After struggling to write my second RCE note I had to come across a IAT rebuilder for x64 applications (not x64 IAT rebuilder for x86 applications!):

CHimpREC-64
http://www.woodmann.com/collaborative/tools/images/Bin_CHimpREC_2008-6-24_13.59_CHimpREC.zip

Surprisingly, an error popped up:

The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

So I had to fire up sxstrace.exe Trace -logfile:SxsTrace.etl
and
sxstrace.exe Parse -logfile:SxsTrace.etl -outfile:SxsTrace.txt

Opening SxsTrace.txt to find a fatal error on last few lines:

ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762".
ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.


It has something to do with VC8.0. . . what could it be?

Yes. . . I didn't have VC++ on my laptop!!

Hurriedly I downloaded and installed the following

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2092

Then the program ran as normal. . .

SPOILERS:  You can guess what is featured in my 2nd RCE note. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment